City Ballet of Cleveland’s Sixth Annual
“A Uniquely Cleveland Nutcracker” Audition
WHEN: Sunday, September 15th, 2019
WHERE: Cleveland City Dance
13108 Shaker Square (near the movie theater)
Cleveland, Oh 44120
PARKING: Free Parking at the back entrance off of Drexmore Rd.
TIME: 1:00 – 3:30 pm
WHO CAN AUDITION?
Students ages 8 and up (minimum with one-year dance experience) from area ALL dance schools. There are roles for students who dance on pointe including advanced dancers; please wear your pointe shoes to audition for these roles. Female dancers’ heights should be in the range of 4'0" to 5'10". Male dancers’ heights should be in the range of 4'2" to 6'0". Students must continue to take their dance classes during the semester.
Performances by the City Ballet of Cleveland, directed by Courtney Laves-Mearini former dancer with Cleveland Ballet, Atlanta Ballet and others.
Performances are scheduled for Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15 at Breen Center for Performing Arts, with a closed dress rehearsal Friday, December 13 for Act I and Act II. Additional festival performances may be available during the season.
Rehearsals will take place at Cleveland City Dance Studios from September through December on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays depending on roles.
Several options are available for the required fundraising activity.
If interested please call 216-848-9088.
Pre-registration forms are available on line at www.cityballetofcleveland.org.
The audition assesses the dancer’s ability so that he/she may be appropriately cast in a role. Participation is voluntary; no Cleveland City Dance student is required to perform. A parent or guardian must attend a mandatory meeting after all auditions.
Cleveland City Dance Annual Auditions
Cleveland City Dance will be holding its annual audition for student placement for our 2017-2018 academic school year. The audition is for all students ages 9 and older with previous dance experience. For dancers ages 3-8, no audition is required. Advance Registration is required.
The next open auditions are as follows:
Third Saturday in June
- 10:00 am-11:00 am for ages 9-11
- 11:30 am-1:00 pm for ages 12 and up
For those unable to attend this class, you may request to schedule a placement class during the June Intensives. A complete audition form as well as the $20 fee is required.
Second Saturday in August
- 10:00 am-11:00 am for ages 9-12
- 11:00 am-12:30 pm for ages 12 and up with a minimum of three years’ recent ballet experience
No audition will be held for students wishing to join during the Winter/Spring session. You must schedule a placement class, complete the audition form, and bring the $20 fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, thank you for your interest in applying study at Cleveland City Dance. Please refer to the following information regarding auditions for admission into the program:
Who can audition?
The audition is for all students ages 9 and older with previous dance experience. For dancers ages 3-8, no audition is required.
How do I pre-register?
Registration forms are available to download on-line and can be mailed in with the $20 non-refundable audition fee via cash or check made out to Cleveland City Dance. Advance Registration is required.
Bring two photographs of yourself (4 x 6 or larger):
- A headshot
- A full body photograph of you in first arabesque. For dancers en pointe please take the arabesque picture sur la pointe.
What if I did not pre-register? May I still audition?
Yes, you may still audition. You need to call no later than the Thursday before the audition class to see if space is still available.
If space is not available, you will need to schedule a separate evaluation class. We will have audition forms at the front desk. The audition fee will be $25 the day of the audition to be paid in cash only.
What if I cannot attend a scheduled audition?
If you are unable to attend the audition, you may provide a DVD along with the registration form and the $25 audition fee may be presented. This DVD will not be returned. Please see What if I am not able to attend any of the auditions listed?
What should I wear to auditions?
- Women should attend auditions in a solid color leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoes, and have their pointe shoes readily available.
- Men should wear a solid color form fitting t-shirt, black tights, and ballet shoes.
What if I only wish to take other styles of dance?
- For all dancers wishing to take jazz or modern we do require ballet technique classes.
- For dancers only wishing to Hip-Hop or Tap you will need to call and schedule an Evaluation class during the school year. You should arrive with a completed audition form with the $20 audition fee in cash or check made out to Cleveland City Dance.
- The Teen/Adult Jazz and modern classes are options for those 13 and up wishing not to take ballet. However, ballet is part of the basis and enhance strength and technique for these dance forms.
What should I expect during the evaluation?
The audition class will consist of barre, center, pointe for women already en pointe, and men’s work for male applicants.
When and how will I be notified of audition results?
Audition results with recommended placement will be emailed approximately one week after each audition. Please do not call Cleveland City Dance as results will be conveyed by email only.
I have been accepted into the program. What should I do now?
All students who audition will be accepted into the program. Your email communication will include directions on how to proceed with registration. Online Registration must be completed along with the first month’s payment no later than two weeks before September. Class spaces will not be held without payment. If you are unable to register online, please contact the office at 216-295-2222.
What if I am not able to attend any of the auditions listed?
Students not able to attend a scheduled audition are allowed to submit a DVD audition. Please submit your DVD with the audition form and a $25 audition fee. Please have it to the studio no later than one week prior to audition date.
The DVD should be no longer than 30-minutes in length.
- Barre exercise should include the following in profile:
- One battement tendu combination
- Rond de jambe en l’air
- Grand battement
- Center should include the following:
- Tendus and battement jeté in fifth use body positions
- Pirouettes en dehors and en dedans
- Petite allegro
- Grande allegro
- Women: For those on pointe; center work should be executed on pointe.
- Men: Center work should include tours en l’air
- Include photographs in a first arabesque and tendu a la seconde